Friday, September 23, 2011

There You'll Find Me - Jenny B. Jones

When my teenage daughter and I first began as a blogging book reviewers, we were introduced to Jenny B. Jones.  Before that time, we'd never read anything by her.  We started off with her Katie Parker series - we've been fans ever since. 

This book, much like the Katie Parker series, isn't just for teens.  Jenny B. Jones proves this by introducing her readers to Finley, an older teen, whose personal growth is smothered by the overwhelming loss of her older brother.  This story contains bits of Jenny's trademark humor that are found in her previous novels. 

In her past novels, Jones has tackled issues like: foster homes, changing family dynamics, and illness.  This time around, she tackles the effects of grief (as well as some other challenges) that many young women battle each day in a very realistic manner. (As one who has personally dealt with grief issues from the unexpected loss of my husband, to the loss of my father just 9 weeks after his cancer diagnosis, to just recently losing my best friend from melanoma, I can definitely say that each grief situation is different). You don't need to be a young adult to identify with the characters, Finley and Beckett. They struggle with fears and insecurities felt by young and old alike.  Jones also bridges the generation gap in a beautiful way, through the supporting character, Mrs. Sweeney, whose own story impacts Finley and adds emotionally stirring depth to the story. 

Only the most talented of authors can craft a novel that incorporates romance, humor, grief, illness, and family relationships relevant to any age group.  Jenny B. Jones knows and understands teens; she also knows we remain part of who we were yesterday. This is why, since I began reading Jenny B. Jones novels, I've become hooked on this author!

I wish to thank BookSneeze for this complimentary copy in exchange for my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment