Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Jesus: A Theography by Leonard Sweet & Frank Viola


The back cover of the book states that "Biographies of Jesus generally have been written by those trying to investigate the historical Jesus, with little attention given to the grand narrative of Scripture. On the flip side, those interested in tracing the theology of Scripture are typically disinterested in historical Jesus studies. These two approaches have yet to converge. . . until now."
Sweet and Viola weave the narrative of Jesus from Creation to The Return of The King. It made me pick up my Bible and compare notes as I read along (having a Bible and a notebook to jot things down in while reading is highly recommend--simply highlighting text isn't enough!).
I can't begin to imagine the amount of work that went into creating this book. The end-notes are extensive; there are over 80 in the introduction alone. I greatly appreciated that the authors did this; it shows they are willing to let anyone see what they used and where their ideas originated.
I am enrolled in a Masters level biblical training school and while I still feel I don't have the knowledge of great biblical scholars, I found this to be a worthwhile read that sparked my curiosity and kicked my questioning and wondering brain into gear. Rather than just telling someone about the Bible, reading this book encourages one to go to the Bible itself to explore the claims. In this, Sweet and Viola place the focus on Jesus, as it should be.  This book isn't too deep for the average reader to grasp, but it's filled with deep insights and will challenge all levels of understanding.

I wish to thank Book Sneeze's blogger review program for the complimentary copy of this book for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment